Monday, June 27, 2011

42%

my fancy not so dancy alarm clock woke me up this morning, whispering that it was still too early (having gone to bed at 3:30am), but having pre-made plans to sip groggy coffee with my cousin downstairs. i rubbed my tired eyes and wondered if i should just wander down the flight of stairs in my sleep-wear, since all i was doing was having a coffee or two with stefania before she went to work. i though, "eh, what the heck, a bra will suffice, and if i just change these teeny-weeny-polka-dotted-boxer shorts, i should be fine. i like this comfortable shirt anyhow. why am i thinking so much this early anyway- this is fine. shorts, pj shirt, sandals, check." i glanced at my clock once again, post PJ change, and wished that i was still engulfed in the covers, not thinking about coffee gatherings, and proper attire, for i knew it didnt matter: especially with 5 hours of sleep under my belt.

slump, step, grumble grumble. step step, yawn, ding dong.
errr
"good morning!"
errr.

my morning was to be predicted to be like my previous day: a day filled with lulls. i thought that i would sip my coffee, trudge back upstairs, and hide under my covers to steal back what was taken from me: precious sleep. so i paid my visit (which was pleasent and nice by the way, im being dramatic), and went upstairs to find pappou all dressed, asking if we could catch a ride to the metro with stefania.

what? spur of the moment? But that's not fair. Im supposed to be in charge of anything spur of the moment.
im not even dressed like a normal human. I have a cut-off shirt that i wear to dream-land, and 3 year old sandals, and i dont look cute. i need proper time to look cute at least!

...but pappou must have either gained some insight, or read my mind and thus, gave me a taste of my own medicine.
"she wants to be busy busy busy? go go go? well, here we go. ready or not..."

so we went. on the metro. thank Jesus i at least brushed my teeth, i had coffee sloshing around in my veins to keep me standing, and i at least looked 42% cute. We were on a mission: to go to the market, and to buy the gifts that we were assigned to buy for family back home. there was to be a strike the following day, so, today was the day to get shat done.

guess i got a little reality check from my dramatics yesterday. But, this was a pleasent surprise, and i was glad that, though i was looking like i rolled out of bed, that i was seeing greece, like it was meant to be seen.

so here's some stories for you..
we walk into the post office. it works much the same as a butcher, in which you press a button, and take a number. with almost 30 numbers before it reached us, i had some serious people watching to do. In and out, greeks flowed in and out. I watched them pass me by. especially this one. this one fine looking fellow...

you'd think you'd see him in a movie somewhere. you know. tall. dark. ... you can fill in the rest. i sat in my post office seat and tried to catch glimpses of him, though his sunglasses blocked my understanding if he was truly looking at me. i kept seeing his bpdy language veering toward me, and turning in my direction, though unsure of his actual eye focal point. i thought: "man, if only he could talk to me. no... he's greek. he doesnt speak english.... he is nice too look at. oh, nice jeans. i wonder why hes here. i wonder if he really is looking at..."

sunglasses came of, and the eyes revealed it:
"oh my gosh. hes looking at me. why is he looking at me. dont keep looking at him. you're probably blushing, steph. act cool.. cross your legs. no.. uncross them. cross your arms instead. no... thats too  dismissive. just.. just look down. oh my gosh. i wonder if he..."

he approached me
"i cant believe this movie star man, is approaching me. hes looking at me. hes approaching me. hes bending down. is he going to say something to me? maybe he does know english. who cares, hes just so nice to look at..."

he gets ready, and speaks:
"im sorry to tell you, but, you're zipper is down."



i sheepishly looked down, turned even redder than my humiliation had admitted, and in slow motion, with a grin on my face, i pulled the zipper to my shorts, up, up, and away. of course. of all the days, to look 42% cute, i had to pick this day. Of course, that was the reason he was look look looking right? he was probably just trying to figure out if my fly had really ventured all the way down down down.

so, of course, our number was called, pappou and i got our stamps, and i kept thinking, "smooth steph, real smooth" Just when i thought a nice cute greek boy was interested in my half cuteness, he was just "xmz" ... "examining my zipper....."

but when we walked out, he smiled. and gave me a wink.
maybe 42% was all he needed, and the zipper was just an ice breaker?
i dont mind, because, in that moment, i needed that wink. especially from the tall dark and handome greek boy.

the rest of the day played out in normalcy, and pappou had a kick in his step.
at one point he insisted that i snap every angle of the ruins he was showing me, and i explained that, once i see a  ruin, they all blur together. im not sure if he caught my drift, or was a little sad that im just another numb american. numb. yes.




found a starbucks! of course. i have that power you know...


pappou showed me the ... i forget the actual name, but its basically a "tomb", for all the unknown soldiers that died in the wars. Its a memorial to all the people that they couldnt identify. So, a nifty gaurd stands outside the place,  and of course, whats a nifty gaurd if you cant take your picture with him??




as i took in the scenery, i glanced out at a scoopful of pigeons pigeons pigeons. the birds are so dumb, yet when they travel in herds, its only natural for us to desire pictures of their 'majesticness'. thus, the outcome of the following...



this happens to be my personal favorite. ive never held a bird before, and im hoping i dont have some viral disease that the US wont allow me back in my homeland because of it. but in the meantime, i think the shots of the majestic animal kingdom were worthwile, despite the unlikely pigeon pnemonia.

coffee in the am, gyro in the later-m. i'm okay with that...

and, im happy to say that i jumped on the euro-wago with pants.
pants? yes. pants. ive noticed some floppy leg aquantinces that these europeans enjoy wearing, and quite frankly, i enjoy watching their enjoyment for their choice of attire (when i seem unsucessful in some days). so i thought, why not go greek and buy some. so, i did!
they are oh so cute on. i am oh so satisfied, and i think next time, i will go greek hunting in these pants.. if you know what i mean.

pappou and i hopped on the metro once again, where i was semi ok with my zipper being semi-down, for it knew of the previous encounter earlier. The boy a glance down the subway train, had a watchful eye on me and my ponderings. Possibly he too was okay with my 42%. Possibly he had x-ray vision and glanced at my hot-new-boy-seeking-pants that were neatly tucked away in my bag. whatever the case, this boy, held a nice, soft gaze at me. soft in appearance as well, with a quiet beauty to his face. And, for some unattainable reason, i was okay with this. i tossed him a shy smile, and walked out of the subway train.

however, i felt that he was still looking at me with, through the train car with his softness. I felt his gaze as i walked out of the train, up to the escalator, and even saw him hold his eye contact with me as the escalator traveled my feet up to street level, and  the doors of the train closed, and he was wisked away. i will, for now, just tuck that quiet memory in my pocket, because only he, and i, knew it happened.


1 comment:

  1. Mwahaha XYZ is what we used to say :) That is embarrassing. That must have stunk to be you. HAHAHAHAA.

    Your brother =)

    ReplyDelete

[insert lovin' here]