Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bobble Head Berry

Me, myself, and all my baggage (yes, conceptually and literally) have safely arrived to wonderful Greece-land.
I have discovered that trying to listen in on conversations in which you don't understand a syllable, unless it's your own name, or a product brand of some sort or unless on the off chance they say the word 'watermelon', you tire yourself out. Im not sure if im suffering from severe jet lag, or the mere fact that i'm american. Language barriers are always a tough wall to kick down, but im sure i'll pick up a few words, other than watermelon, and coca-cola pronounced in an accent. I'd like to know, however, their tones of voice, and what each means. To me i hear yelling and possible annoyance or anger in their greek slurs. But, im assuming im false in my accusations when i dart my head over to my pappou hitting his theigh in a laughing reply back.

So, this is the first country ive been to outside of Ecuador for 2 missions trips. With that said. My poor little international head is getting confused with all these new things. I thought i was a worldly girl, experiencing Ecuador on my own. Grantid, i love Ecuador, and i appreciate it for all its cultural differences. Nothing too much really threw me off about that country, however.

Here's some struggles:

because im 'in a new country' my brain is saying "say grasias! say grasias!" but then i really think with the filter i have every once and a while, and realize, grasias means NOTHING to these people. Grasias was merely a lame attempt to act spanish in tone in a country where i didnt belong. so here i say again,  unless these Greeks feel like talking about fruit and ask me what fruit i like to eat in the summer, i'll say "KAR-POOZ-EE", and that will be all. goal: learn some greek that will make me look like i care that i am actually greek.

nodding yes an no. You may think that's a given world wide. false false, everywhich way that is, false. My uncle george asked me if i wanted ice cream (in english, yes.), and i shook my head left and right, as i was trying to mutter a sound. He said.. "yes? no?" I continued the shaking of left and right. "yes? ....... no????"... i then understood that no matter how many times i shook my head, that meant NOTHING in this country. you merely look like a bobble head. So, note to self, when you say no, tilt your head up. stop shaking.

dinner is not a given. don't wait. but food is always shoved in your face. ask me how that works. im not sure.

Heres some photos of the day. Ive had an awful headache all day, but ive insisted it doesn't exist. Probably because it doesn't respond to my bobble head reply.

Today, Pappou Me, and  Nya, my cousin, went to the Acropolis. Truly it was a fantastic experience. Really makes you realize how young america is, and how skilled the greeks were, even that long ago!

crazy. a picture of me in greece, when just over a day ago i was in Jersey. God blows my mind.


Of course, a door. I can't help myself.

And then we came home to some yummy lunch. Thank heavens, i was starving.
(here ya go als)

iHad some espresso, and as i'm sipping, im  laughing at the fact, that the acropolis has made its way into my cup. only i would notice such markings from sippage in my cup, but i thought it was so appropriate for the day. See if you can find it too..

That's all for now. Its 12:44 here, and my head is nodding to me that bed is where i should be.
Goodnight!




3 comments:

  1. love it! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time mama! I miss you a lot! thanks for the food shout out you are the best! One of my campers is going to greece in a few weeks I told him to look for a girl named steph berry! He is adorable!
    xoxo
    keep us updated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany RissmillerJune 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM

    Stephanie. Berry. You. Are. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that door is amazing. Greece is amazing. You are amazing!! -Julesssss

    ReplyDelete

[insert lovin' here]